Plain text view can be found below.
Calling all visual artists! From paintings, to photography, to installations — we are looking for submissions to fill the SOMArts Bay Gallery for URBAN x INDIGENOUS IV. We are currently accepting visual and literary submissions only (performance submissions will be open in January 2018).
UxI IV: Unite the Tribes seeks to re-commune, reconnect, and reorganize our urban indigenous family. Across the globe, the hxstory of imperialism has displaced indigenous communities, exploiting their sacred lands for resources and labor. In our urban environment, we continue to bear witness to the separation and displacement of communities of color through forces such as gentrification. Plagued by politicians who preach divisiveness, we now, more than ever, must (re)unite in strength and resilience. As UxI enters our fourth year, we seek art that challenges the forces that attempt to divide us, that speaks to the power of uniting in the face of adversity. How do we reclaim our belonging to our lands, to our ancestors, and to each other? How do we use art to shift our urban environments towards collective wellness and ensure our movements are rooted in fullest, most whole expressions of our being? How do we unite across the borders that have been created for us to re-envision how we live together, how we resist together, and how we shape the future for our generations yet to come? Can we achieve a way of solidarity that still embraces our differences?
Submissions that best reflect the spirit of “Unite the Tribes” will be selected as our Featured Conversations. A separate call for performance submissions will be released in in January 2018, and artists will be prompted to respond to and/or engage with the Featured Conversations through their performance. By creating a space for engagement between art and artists of different mediums, UxI IV will be a space that evolves creative expression into critical dialogue.
WHO CAN SUBMIT
We appreciate creative works from anyone* who feels this connection to explore – the intersection of the indigenous and the urban; the discourse on cultural disintegration/reintegration under imperialism; & how unifying within and across tribal identities can empower communities of color. We hope you can encourage the greater community around you to submit as well. For this call for submissions, we are prioritizing visual and multimedia works. Submissions for performance pieces will be opened at a later date.
*(QT)POC artists especially of Asian, Pacific Islander, or Pilipinx descent are encouraged to apply. You may choose to submit anonymously as well.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
Calling for submissions of any visual/literary medium (paintings, photography, prints, film, installations, etc.)
- Visual prints/slides by email attachment (at least 300 dpi).
- Installation by email attachment of proposal, dimensions, images and materials list
- Literature by email attachment (pdf format)
- Film/Animation by MOV format (10 min max)
HOW TO SUBMIT
1. Send one e-mail per submission to email@example.com
2. Format the subject line as follows:
Last Name – First Name – Title of Piece – Medium (painting, video, installation, eg.)
ex: Dizon – Sammay – Unite the Tribes – Short Film
3. Please include the following information:
- Name, Email, Phone, Mailing Address
- Type of piece / medium used / dimensions
- Brief 50-word artist biography
- For anonymous submissions, please include an asterisk (*) next to your name.
- Any additional info about your piece
- If you are available to install on June 15, 2018 and take down on June 17, 2018?
- If you are not able to install/take down, how will we receive your piece?
SEND IN SUBMISSIONS BY JANUARY 1, 2018