Calling all artists! We are looking for submissions to fill our gallery up with artful stories, images, media, and performances! We invite you….
UxI: III “Keep Pushin'” envisions Hip-Hop as our thread from Urban to Indigenous. Throughout hxstory, marginalized peoples have always produced culture as a means to uplift and resist. Art invites the oppressed to imagine the world beyond what is and envision what can be. As UxI enters its third year, we continue to seek what pushes us to create in times of socio-political tension. How have movements created by people of color, particularly Hip Hop, strengthened us? How do our artistic practices honor ancestral lineage and become expressions of bodymindspirit ? In a movement where expression is as diverse as those who practice it, how has Hip Hop become a subversive voice for the oppressed? Lastly, how do we use Hip Hop as a way of pushing societal and artistic boundaries?
***DEADLINE WEDNESDAY APRIL 19***
i. who can submit
We appreciate creative works from anyone* who feels this connection to explore – the intersection of the indigenous and the urban; the discourse on injustice and intergenerational trauma through Hip Hop; & how Hip Hop can be a unifying thread of the oppressed. We hope you can encourage the greater community around you to submit as well. Though we are prioritizing visual and multimedia works, we are interested in all types of artistic submissions that speak to the theme of URBAN x INDIGENOUS: KEEP PUSHIN’
*(QT)POC artists especially of Asian, Pacific Islander, or Pilipinx descent are encouraged to apply. You may choose to submit anonymously as well.
ii. what to submit
Calling for submissions of any medium – from prose to poetry to photography to artwork and performance:
• Literature by email attachment (pdf format)
• Visual prints/slides by email attachment (at least 300 dpi).
• Installation by email attachment of proposal, dimensions, images and materials list
• Film/Animation by avi format (10 min max)
• Performance* by email attachment
*please provide a short description of your performance piece (300 words max) and relevant media that will be used:
POEM : mp3 recording & pdf of poem
DANCE : mp3 of track (title & artist) & video
SONG/MUSIC : mp3 recording & pdf of lyrics
iii. how to submit
1. Send one e-mail per submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Format the subject line as follows: Last Name – First Name – Title of Piece – Medium (e.g., poetry, prose, visual, etc.) ex: Dizon – Sammay – Keep Pushin’ – Performance Installation
3. Please include the following information: * Name, Email, Phone, Mailing Address
* Type of piece / medium used / dimensions
* Brief 50-word artist biography
* For anonymous submissions, please include an asterisk (*) next to your name.
* Any additional info about your piece
* If you are available to install/take down on June 11th?
* If you are not able to install/take down, how will we receive your piece?
Send in your submissions!